1779 Visitation: Bishop Ross' Queries
DEAN-STREET, SOUTH AUDLEY SQUARE, March 15, 1779.
IT being my Purpose, with God's Assistance, to hold my primary Visitation this Summer, I have drawn up a Paper of Enquiries, leaving a void Space under each of them, in which I desire you to set down your several Answers plainly and distinctly; and to send them, to me at Exeter, by the 15th of May next, signed with your Name, signifying at the same Time how a Letter directed to you by the General Post may best find you. I heartily commend you to the Blessing of Almighty God, and remain,
Your faithful Friend and Brother,
- Do you reside personally upon you Cure, and in your Parsonage or Vicarage-House? If not, where do you reside? And what is the Reason of your Non-Residence? Have you a Curate Resident, who is duly licenced, and with what Salary? Have you any Lecturer? What is his Name? And how is he provided for?
- Have you any more Benefices than one? If another, what, and where is it?
- Do you perform Divine Service at any Church besides your own? and where?
- How often is Divine Service performed in your Church? If not twice on the Lord's Day, with a Sermon in the Morning, for what Reason?
- How often is the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper administered? And what Number of Communicants have you?
- At what Times do you catechise the Youth of your Parish?
- Is your Church and Chancel in good Repair, and your Church-yard well kept? And have you all Things decent for divine Service?
- Have you a Terrier of the Glebe Lands, Houses, &c. according to the Tenor of the 87th Canon? If not, let one be made and delivered in at the Visitation properly signed.
- What Number of Families have you in your Parish?
- Have you any Chapel within your Parish? Who nominates to it? By whom is it served? How served? And with what is it supported?
- Have you any reputed Papists in your Parish, and how many? Have you any Meeting-Houses for Dissenting Congregations? How many? And of what Denomination? Who are their Teachers?
- Have you any publick or other School in your Parish? Any Alms-Houses, Hospital, or other charitable Endowment? Are they duly managed according to the Direction of their Founders? Have you any parochial Library?
- Have any Lands or Tenements, or other Benefactions, been left for any pious and charitable Uses? And are they duly applied?
It would be, at this Time, a further Satisfaction to me if you would write down for me upon this Paper, the Dates of your Insitution (or Collation) and Priest's Orders.